Friday, April 20, 2007

High Time...

...for a new post! I've been informed my my Aunt Anneliese and her daughter (my cousin) that I should update. To tell you the truth, I didn't think that anybody ever looked here anymore. So, I never posted. But a lot has deffinatley happend since my last post. I'm just not sure that I can think of all of it.

One of the biggest things is the play at my school that I was involved in. It wasn't actually a play, a rock opera: AIDA. And for those of you that think I was in the play, think again. I was way too nervous to try out so I didn't. My friend, Jenna, and I went to Mr. Fatkin (the drama teacher at our school and the play director) and asked him if we could be stage hands. We ended up being in charge of all the props. This included things like moving massive pillars on stage, getting the big props (like a boat, dock, desks...) ready to go on stage and making sure that everybody who needed a little prop had it before they went on stage. One of my good friends, Rayel, was the stage manager and so I also had the job of running around and doing stuff for her. The main thing she got me to do was tell everybody to shut up and be quiet. Oh yeah, I also was incharge of making sure everybody who needed a mic, and their mic taped on to their face. This was fun and I learned very quickly that I had to keep this tape on my body at all times: you never know when someone's going to need some! (story about that later). So I had tones of fun doing this and I'm pretty sure that if Jenna and I had decided to not show up one night, the play would have fallen apart. So I think I had a pretty big part.

If you have no idea what AIDA is, then you're going to want to read this part. Okay so there's three main characters: Aida, the Nubian princess; Radames, captain of Egyption army; and Amneris, the Egyption princess. This can get a little bit confusing, so pay attention. Amneris is engaged to Radames, has been for 9 years. Radames' army captures Aida and some of her people (Egyptions and Nubians are not friends) and make them slaves. No one knows that Aida is a princess. After being away for a few months, Radames thinks he should give Amneris a gift. So he gives her Aida. At first Amneris doesn't want her but then figures out that Aida knows her fabrics and decides to keep her (Amneris talks about dress being her strongest suit). Radames and his army catch the Nubian king. Amneris relizes that Radames is becoming distant with her and tries to figure out why. She finds out the night before her wedding day the truth: Radames has fallen in love with Aida (still not knowing that she's a princess). Aida convinces Radames to marry Amneris because she believes there is no future for them. At their wedding, a soldier comes crashing in saying that the Nubian king (Aida's father) has escaped. The wedding is stopped and they go running after him. Amonasaro (the king) gets on a boat and yells at Aida, "Daughter! Come!". Radames comes rushing in at that second and then finds out she's the princes. She turns to get on the boat when her friend, Radames' servant, gets killed. The boat leaves without her. At the end (don't read this if you're planning on seeing the play anytime soon) Radames and Aida get put in one tomb to die together because they have betrayed the princess. While in the tomb, Radames tells Aida that he'll find her, even if it takes him 1000 lifetimes. The last scene is in present times and Radames finds Aida.

It's a really cute story. Gets kind of anoying once you've seen it 8 (more with the practices) times, but still a good story. Now for a few stories of everything that went wrong: on stage and off. The first one that pops into my mind happens to be on stage. It's a scene where Radames has just confesed his love to Aida and vise versa. He's supposed to give her his amulet so she will be protected. I guess you could say this is my fault, but the necklace was kind of put on before his mic was. So when he went to take it off, he happend to rip off his mic. It looked hillarious because he's standing there holding his mic to his mouth while Aida is telling him she loves him. I was right there when he got off stage to tape his mic back on. I felt so bad for the actor. The second this is about one of these massive pillars. There's 3 of them and we only use all 3 at the same time, once. Every other time it's only 2 being used. So it was perfect timing for this to happen but still very bad. Right after the scene where we used all three (which happens to be my favourite scene) was over, we go on stage and roll these monsters off. Well, the one my fellow stage crew was moving kinda lost a wheele on the way off stage. This wasn't anybody's fault in particular, there was just way too many wires and things on the ground that we roll the big thing over; it got loose. So the wheele fell off and the thing almost toppled over and pulled down the whole set with it. The bad thing is that this was one of the pillars that needed to be used again. There are 2 pillars that have an old side and a new side. This was one of those and we needed the old side again. The other pillar only has one side: a new side. I was so stressed that night because there were 4 other girls, all in grade 9, that were helping Jenna and I, and all of them and Jenna came to me to figure out what to do. It was all on me and we only had a few minutes to figure out what to do. There was nothing else we could do but use the 3rd pillar. So I tried to figure out a way to get it on the other side of the stage (where we needed it) and soon found out that that would be imposible to do. So I figured that I would just get someone to push it on from the wrong side, push it accross the stage when needed. The only thing is that there's no blackout when it needed to go on. So we couldn't exactly push it on ourselves because we were in black, not costume. So I was running around trying to find someone, anyone, who stood on that side of the stage in that scene. I finally did and asked them if they could do it. They said yes. I actually got low from thinking that much. I had to sit down for the rest of the play (only 2 scenes) and eat. It was so intense! There was also other things, like a soldier forgetting his shackles that he had to put on Aida in the end.

In a way I'm glad that it's over because I don't have to deal with things like that anymore. But I also really miss it. I met some great people doing this and I miss their pressence. I also miss just seeing the story. After watching it over and over for about a month you tend to get used to it. But now it's done, and that's sad. Here's some pictures from it:

The group: cast, crew and pit.

Me, Shianna (Aida), and Jenna. I became pretty good friends with Shianna. I helped her change twice durring every preformance and she made it known that I was appreciated, always gave me a huge hug after every preformance.

Rayel and myslef. She was so good to the cast, bought a flat of water everyday for them with her own money. She also made me do her dirty work and run around.

Aida, also known as Shianna. She has an amazing voice. For those of you out there that like country, you'll like her. She has a country sounding voice.

Radames, also known as Min. His voice shocked me. He has the kind of voice that surprises you every time he opens his mouth. Rayel and I melted every time!

Amneris, also known as Madison. I had no idea she could sing untill I came to a rehersal. She also has a really good voice. Just very quiet.


Just to show you that I wasn't lying about the mic falling off. As you can see, Shianna had a really hard time not laughing!

So, I think that's it for now. You guys better have enjoyed this. Took me a while to do! Just kidding! Glad to do it. Have a good weekend! Oh yeah, I'm going to Ashland, Oregon next week for a Shakspeare festival. If you could pray for a safe ride there and back and safe time there that would be great.

1 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,
This was very interesting! Interesting to hear it from the stage hands perspective! What a neat thing to volunteer for and to be willing to do the "behind the scenes" jobs. Sometimes we don't realize that those are the most important jobs. Thank you for posting, and it was worth it even if it was just for your aunt. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home